The members of the City of Fairfax FCCLA (Family, Career and Community Leaders of America) worked for several months preparing their STAR (Students Taking Action for Recognition) events projects, portfolios and presentations for the state competition. Based on the results, four teams (Eight students from Lanier MS and two from FHS) have earned the privilege to represent Fairfax City, FCPS and the state of Virginia at the FCCLA National Leadership Recognition Conference (NLRC) held in June and July in Atlanta, Georgia.
- In Promote and Publicize, Juli L., Hana I. and Riley S. earned Gold medals and 1st place in Virginia.
- The Chapter Service Project Display competitors 8th grader Kayleigh W. with 7th grader Naomi D. won 2nd place and Silver medals.
- Competing in Food Innovations, Miranda C., Yale K. and Emily S. won 1st place with a perfect score of 100 points and Gold medals.
- Our Advocacy team includes Hope P. and Diego S. who were 1st place in the state with silver medals.
- Laura S. from Fairfax HS was elected as a state officer becoming the VP of Membership for the 2018-2019 school year.
All students will compete against other chapter members from across the country vying for national placement. While attending the conference, several members will attend leadership courses. Some members will volunteer as room consultants for the judging teams in various event categories. The chapter members will also network with other members gaining ideas to use with the City of Fairfax chapter in the coming year.