City of Fairfax students celebrated the holiday season by giving back to their community. Student leaders collected food, clothes, toys and pet supplies to donate to local charities and charities around the world.
- Daniels Run Elementary School students collected old denim shorts, jeans and jackets for Sole Hope, an organization that provides services and goods to children in Africa. Sole Hope produces hundreds of recycled shoes by using old jeans to make shoe covers and old tires to make the soles of the shoes.
- Providence Elementary School collected boxes of food each year and donates them to the Salvation Army.
- Lanier Middle School’s National Junior Honor Society collected holiday donations during a Giving Tree charity drive. Students and faculty donated over 100 toys and books and filled 12 bags of groceries for Lanier families seeking assistance this winter.
- Fairfax High School Leadership collected over 2000 pounds of food which was donated to Food for Others, an organization dedicated to distributing food to Northern Virginia residents in need.
- Fairfax High School DECA students collected pet food and supplies for the Fairfax Humane Society. The students provided the Humane Society with one of the largest donations the group has seen in recent years. Students dropped off the food on Friday, December 18th.