The City of Fairfax Schools has posted the notification for the search for a new superintendent. For more information about the position and how to apply, please see the posting here.
CITY OF FAIRFAX SCHOOLS ANNOUNCE SEARCH FOR PART-TIME SUPERINTENDENT
City of Fairfax Schools
The Position – The City of Fairfax School Board invites applications for the part-time superintendent position. The anticipated date of start is September, 2017.
The Division – The City of Fairfax, population 24,000, is located in the center of Fairfax County, Virginia. In 1961, a School Services Agreement (SSA) was entered with the City of Fairfax Schools and Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS). Under this agreement, FCPS manages and operates city schools, hires staff and develops curriculum, while the City School Board and City Superintendent is responsible for the management of the contract and the four city-owned school buildings.
The City of Fairfax has a five member school board that is elected every two years.
- Oversight and management of the SSA
- Develop and maintain relationship with FCPS Superintendent and FCPS Region 5 leaders to consult on topics such as boundary changes, selection of principals, and community input/feedback from the City of Fairfax.
- Oversight of four school buildings and capital improvement
- Work with Mayor and City Council to manage budget, city/school relationships, community use of facilities
- Work with school staff and school board to establish strategic plan and implement goals.
City of Fairfax Schools:
Schools: Fairfax High School (9-12) including academy program, Lanier Middle School (7-8), Providence Elementary School (Pk-6) and Daniels Run Elementary School (K-6)
Total enrollment: 5,000 – city and county students are welcome in city schools
Total division budget: $56,600,000
- Listed on the “Eligible List of Division Superintendents” approved by the Virginia Board of Education or possesses necessary qualifications for certification.
- Exhibits proven leadership qualities, preferable as a superintendent, assistant superintendent and and/or central office administrator, with additional experience as a principal and classroom teacher.
- Administrative experience included a current and comprehensive understanding of effective K-12 public education with specific knowledge of Fairfax County Public Schools.
- Exhibits awareness and knowledge of the City of Fairfax community and demographics.
- Provides evidence of ten years of progressively responsible positions in public administration and successful management experience to include responsibility for: maintenance of facilities, execution of contractual agreements, budget and finance, curriculum and instruction.
- Provides evidence of continuing advanced studies (earned Master’s Degree or Doctorate in Educational Administration).
- Provides evidence of ability to develop and explain rational for budget to School Board and local officials and effectively advocate for school issues and needs.
- Demonstrates ability to ensure collaboration and cooperation to provide high expectations for academic achievement for all students and excellence in teaching for all teachers.
- Demonstrates ability to support staff development activities and encourage and encourage professional growth and evaluate staff fairly and effectively.
- Demonstrates ability to work with parents, PTA and community.
- Demonstrates ability to communicate with the School Board, local officials and staff and promote business and community involvement in support of City Schools.
Salary – Salary and benefits are commensurate with a part-time position.
Resumes and supporting documentation should be submitted on or before June 23, 2017.
Documents may be mailed to:
City of Fairfax Schools
10455 Armstrong Street
Fairfax, VA 22030
Attn. Susan Wiczalkowski
Or emailed to SuperintendentSearch@FairfaxVa.gov
Candidates may reach out to Ms. Susan Wiczalkowski, Clerk of the School Board with questions. 703-385-7911 or Susan.Wiczalkowski@FairfaxVa.gov.