Follow Principal Goldfarb on Twitter @ffxhsprincipal
Fairfax High School
By The Numbers
Percentage of students going to 2- or 40 year college or military
Student to Computer (5 years or newer) Ratio
1.8 : 1
About Fairfax High School
Fairfax High School has a rich history and tradition that dates back to 1936. The current facility, built in 1972, is located in the City of Fairfax and was upgraded in 2007 with a $54-million-dollar renovation. Approximately 35 percent of FHS students live in the City of Fairfax, while the other 65 percent resides in Fairfax County outside city limits. The school is a community center for the City of Fairfax, serving as the venue of choice for many evening and weekend community programs.
FHS Students at CureFest DC 2016
Fairfax High School offers a broad and challenging curriculum that meets the needs of a diverse population. The high school offers Advanced Placement courses, honors programs in all academic areas, six world languages, internship opportunities, on-site vocational training, and a full range of fine and performing arts. Students who speak English as a second language and students with disabilities are served by specially adapted instructional programs. Our school community believes that all students can learn and develop to perform at high standards. Time and opportunity for students to receive additional academic support needed is built into our instructional schedule.
Our academic programs seek to promote Future Readiness among our students. We expect our students to graduate from Fairfax High School with the skills to be creative and critical thinkers as well as to communicate and collaborate with people around the world. These skills will allow each graduate the opportunity to choose among many options in continuing their growth in college, career, or other pursuits. Approximately 90 percent of our students continue their education in postsecondary institutions. Our school counselors and Student Services team – which is RAMP-certified (Recognized ASCA Model Program) – provides academic and socio-emotional support for our students in addition to college and career advising as they move through grades 9-12.
FX Players, the theater group had 10 Cappies Nominations in 2017 for their production of “Guys and Dolls”
FHS students were honored as the VHSL Male and Female Athletes of the Year in 2016,
FHS Science Olympiad was the 2017 Virginia state winners and attended the national competition in Ohio.
FHS DECA students routinely place in the state and national tournaments each year and is one of the most recognized chapters in the region.
FHS Field Hockey has won eight straight regional championships.
FHS students collected over 2000 pounds of food in 2015 to donate to local charities.
FHS Band placed third in the 2015 Virginia state band competition at James Madison University.
FHS Cheer named 2015 state champions.
FHS State Champions Cheer Team
The City of Fairfax Schools strives to make our website accessible to all. If you are having difficulties, please call our office at 703-385-7911 or send an email to SchoolBoard@FairfaxVa.gov.