We like to check in with our schools and see how they are doing throughout the year. Here is a look at Fairfax High School and Fairfax Academy for the Communications and the Arts.
Fairfax Academy for the Communications and the Arts
- 2017 GRAMMY Music Educator of the Year Semi-Finalist – Mr. Chris Johnston – The Music Educator Award was established to recognize current educators who have made a significant and lasting contribution to the field of music education and who demonstrate a commitment to the broader cause of maintaining music education in the schools. For more about Mr. Johnston and his third nomination for this award, please see here.
- SkillsUSA – Riley Mead, Gold; Skylar Watkins – Bronze, Haruko Harbour – Silver, Fairfax Academy; (Teacher, Pro Photo class, Kevin Smith) – The SkillsUSA Championships are competitive events showcasing the best career and technical education students in the nation. Contests begin locally and continue through the state and national levels. Last year, there were more than 6,000 contestants in 100 separate events.
- StarTalk – Celie Feighery, student Governor’s School State Award (Leah Liao, teacher/advisor )- Celie received a Governor’s school award from StarTalk. StarTalk’s mission is to increase the number of U.S. citizens learning, speaking, and teaching critical-need foreign languages, with programs for students and teachers.
- Foundation for Korean Language – Maggie Akers, student (Ms. Song Johnston, teacher) Maggie received a fully-funded trip to Korea to study and learn in the summer of 2016..
- NSILY – Joy Shi, student (Ms. Song Johnston, teacher) NSILY is a national scholarship. Joy received a fully-funded trip to Korea in the summer of 2016.
- Hosted “Take Your Legislators to Work Day”- Academy students and administrators were joined by Virginia State Representative David Bulova and Virginia State Senator Chap Petersen for a tour and lunch.
Fairfax High School
- National Merit Scholarship Semi-finalists – Benjamin Krupka, Rebecca Stafford The National Merit Scholarship Program was founded to identify and honor scholastically talented American youth and to encourage them to develop their abilities to the fullest.
- Virginia Latin Convention – 16 FHS students participated in the VLC in Richmond and brought home 49 awards for showing understanding of Latin and Roman culture.
- FHS Wrestling hosted the second annual “See You on the Square”, the only outdoor wrestling match in Northern Virginia, bringing together the community with a fundraiser to support the Eric Monday Wrestling Foundation.
- Army All-American Marching Band – Nicole Leonardo Nicole is receiving an all-expense paid trip to San Antonio to perform in the half-time show of the US Army All-American Bowl in January 2017.
- Northern Region Cross Country – Drew Robinson and Chloe Tran Chloe placed 7th and qualified for states; Drew placed 17th and qualified for Virginia state.
- Varsity Field Hockey Conference and Region Championship – FHS Girls Varsity Field Hockey won their 8th consecutive region championship and held a 23-1 record, losing in the state semi-finals.
- FX Players produced and performed “Avenue Q” to rave reviews. The Players continue their season with student-directed one-act plays in January and Guys and Dolls in May. For more information please see the FX Players website.
- Interact Club collected winter clothing and donated to local families in need.
- FHS DECA students collected toys for Inova Hospital and Operation Gratitude, a group supporting military families.
- Band and Chorus concert Thursday, December 15 at 7:00 PM at FHS
- Winter Sports – Boys/Girls Basketball, Wrestling, Swim/Dive, Gymnastics and Indoor Track – to get schedules please see the winter sports website here.