skip to main content

Posts Tagged “FHS”

FHS Band Continues to Shine

Fairfax High School had a great showing at All-District Band auditions having the most students selected of any high school in the district. Thirty-six FHS band students were selected and another 9 were named alternates. Special kudos to four FHS students who were selected for All-Virginia Band: Imogen Hendricks (1st Chair Oboe in the State), Aiman Khan (French Horn), Samantha Kim (2nd Chair bass Clarinet in the State), Sarah Zotian (French Horn).

The FHS Band program is again recognized as a “VA Honor Band” for the 7th year in a row.

FHS And LMS Students named to Virginia All-State Honors Choir

Congratulations to Fairfax High School students James Derrick, Sara Latimer, Laurel Romoser, and alternate Melvin Lopez named to 2015 Virginia All-State Honors Choir.

Additional congratulations extended to Lanier Middle School students Olivia Ottomanelli, Brigid Smullen, Charles Wolfer, Mikaela Fenn, Alexis Delia, Bailey Redler, and alternates Mae Malloy, Abigail Guckenberger, and Ryan Casey for being named to the 2015 Middle School Honors Chorus.


FHS Advanced Auto Tech Students Build Buggy; Show at Washington D.C. Auto Show

Fairfax High School advanced auto tech students spent over 14 months to build a buggy from scratch. The buggy was shown at the Washington DC Auto Show in the DC Convention Center earlier this year. Under teacher Less Steger, the students were approved for a grant from the Foundation for Applied Technology to purchase the needed materials. Students in Advanced Auto II and Advanced Auto III worked together from November, 2013 through January 2015 to show at the DC Auto Show. The buggy is now for sale.

FHS Tyler Barton profiled in Fairfax Times

It didn’t take long for Fairfax to assert its new identity against Langley Tuesday night. The Rebels flew out of the gates like a rabid pride of lions hungry for a kill, their relentless full-court pressure punctuated by a one-handed jam from high-flying transfer Tyler Barton.

To read the entire article, see here.

FHS Robotics Team Wins National Competition

Seven Fairfax High School (FHS) students making up the TSA Robotics team won the Mini-Urban Challenge on Saturday in Florida. Led by senior and lead programmer Thomas Dabney, students Jack Rizek, Calvin Rizek, William Chang, Phillip Simpson, Paul Huravitch and Francis Winn took first place beating out nine other schools from across the country.

The 6th annual Mini-Urban Challenge is a national competition that challenges high school students to design and operate a robotic automobile using a Lego Mindstorms kit. Students design and assemble a robot capable of going distances accurately based on student-written programs and signals received from color and light sensors. The car must maneuver through a model city on a painted mat. The students have 45 minutes to program the robot to make seven stops in assigned locations during the competition time. The car must follow the colored lines and traffic rules and park on designated spots. The students must successfully navigate through the mini-urban challenge for 70 percent of their score. The rest of the 30 percent of the team score is based on an oral presentation made by team members.

The students are led throughout the school year by FHS teacher and Robotics Club leader Emre Ege, but needed to conduct themselves independently during the challenge.  “It is the sheer success of our students which comes with excessive preparedness and planning,” said Ege.

Students prepared for the challenge throughout the school year, in the club and in the classroom. Mr. Ege teaches in the Technology and Engineering department at FHS and many of his club members are in his Development Engineering Course.

“This particular robotics studies involve learning programming languages and assembling a navigational robot according to specifications,” said Ege. “It is a lot of fun for creative, resourceful, productive and engineer-minded students.”

The team first won the D.C. regional challenge in March, beating out schools from around Fairfax County and the D.C. metro area. “We are proud of their accomplishments and sure that this is only a beginning of their life-long achievements,” said Ege.

The challenge is sponsored by The Doolittle Institute, a non-profit based in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, the Air Force Research Lab and John Deere.


The City of Fairfax Schools strives to make our website accessible to all. If you are having difficulties, please call our office at 703-385-7911 or send an email to

© 2018 City of Fairfax Schools